Saturday, August 30, 2008

Week 9, Thing #22: Looking for an older text? Check out an ebook!

Due to my unfortunate timing, I cannot avail of the "free" downloads on World EBook Fair's website until July of next year. If I would like to access the numerous ebooks on the site, I can pay $8.95. Instead, I explored ManyBooks.net to learn about ebooks. Although this site's ebooks offerings pales in comparison with the World Public Library's (many of its ebooks, however, were taken from Project Gutenberg), it is well organized into categories like "Young Readers" and "Banned Books." ManyBooks. net is useful if you are browsing for titles from certain authors, its offerings are also organized by author and title. The site serves different ebook readers, as well, offering them in various ebook formats like Kindle and iPhone pdf. There was also the World Public Library's public access page, that has over 75,000 books in html. Ebook sites are a convenient place to go if you're looking for copies of older texts instantly, since all of the ebooks are under public domain. On ManyBooks.net the copies of Edgar Alan Poe's short stories and the works of William Shakespeare are clicks away.

You can search for audiobooks in the public domain on the LibriVox catalog. I found whole audiobooks for free! The books are read by volunteers, and if you're questioning the quality of their readings I suggest you listen to some sample audiobooks and you'll find that they are quite good. I found whole audiobooks of J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan and Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. You can also browse for audiobooks by genres like "Horror/ghost stories" and "Teen/young adult."

It is nice to know that if I am ever in a bind and require instant copies of older texts, I can download them as text or audio.

No comments: