Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Week 4, Thing #9: Don't Just "Google" It!

When exploring the uncharted wilds of news, blogs, and feeds it is most helpful to have a guide. The search tools that I found most helpful finding news was topix.com. I liked how I could browse for news articles by topic and source. Topix.com has a wide readership from around the world, evidenced by the number of comments that users leave on the articles. I liked reading their comments because they enrich the news articles with various perspectives, I am glad that Topix.net has this feature. The bar graph of my topic of interest in the news was fun to see, and I wonder how watching the trends in news topics will be useful. The advanced search option allows to you to restrict your search to a specific source and locale, and I liked using the advanced search because it distills information into a dose that I able to digest. If I was interested in searching for a blog, I liked technocrati's advanced search and Google Blog Search (if only because I was familiar with its interface).

It is helpful to know that these search tools exist, especially since I was so reliant on Google.

No comments: