Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Week 8, Thing #18: Google Docs...Your Virtual Flashdrive

As with my RSS reader, since I have a Google email account I decided to experiment with Google Docs instead of Zoho Writer. Google Docs allows you to create word documents, spreadsheets, slide presentations, and even forms (a template where you can type in questions and answers). After watching the YouTube video about Google Docs, I learned that it enabled you to save files created on your computer on the Internet. I learned that by saving these files on Google Docs, you could easily have them viewed and edited by others.

The capability to create slide show presentations and word documents seemed immediately useful for me. As a graduate student starting my library studies at San Jose State University, I foresee using Google Docs when I need to co-author essays and create slide shows with classmates.

I had fun with the forms feature of Google Docs. You could use this feature to create surveys and tests quickly and publish them on the Internet, administering them to people via online. By administering it online, you could receive responses to your surveys and tests quickly. I think that this would be a good way for librarians to create surveys to receive feedback from their patrons about their services. Of all the web 2.0 tools, I think I will use web applications the most since its format is identical to the current computer applications that I use everyday.

1 comment:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Good to hear how you plan to use Google Apps. It would be good to also look at Zoho so you know what it is like. A year ago, Zoho had a big head start on Google, but Google is so well resourced that is is charging ahead.

You are moving along at a good pace with the 23 Things. We look forward to adding you to the CSLA 2.0 Team.

Best wishes.